11 Facts about me:
1. I recently became a Freemason.
2. I love teaching physics.
3. I enjoy wearing bowties. They are safer to wear in a laboratory, harder to spill soup on, and always come out the right length on the first attempt at tying.
4. I learned to knit, and to play the banjo almost entirely using the internet.
5. Since moving to Northern Maine, I’ve gotten more enthused about a few southern foods: cheese grits, and deep fried okra.
6. My blood type is O+, but I can’t give blood anymore because of the part of Africa that I’ve visited.
7. My left thumb pops out of its socket easily.
8. I started playing violin when I was 10, and I know play second violin in the Northern Maine Chamber Society, but I played viola for a year in college.
9. I was on the track team in middle and high school. I ran the quarter mile and the hurdles.
10. I like black licorice. I think many people who remember disliking black licorice as kids might now enjoy it.
11. I’ve been using Ubuntu Linux as my primary operating system for about six months.
1.) What is your favorite animal?
That’s a tough one. Narwhals are interesting and have a hilarious name. Honeybadgers are certainly formidable, but sort of trendy. Birds are my favorite animal to photograph.
2.) What is your favorite day of the work week?
I like Tuesday and Friday because I get to play chamber music with my students. Perhaps Friday wins because in addition to chamber music, it features bow-ties. Some of my colleagues and I have agreed to observe “Bow-tie Friday.”
3.) How many pets have you had and what kinds?
I have had five cats in my life, many fish when I was much younger, and a fire-bellied newt when I was between 7 and 10.
4.) What is your favorite blog to read?
I haven’t been blog reading (or blog writing) as much as I did pre-fatherhood, but my favorites have been madtown-mamma-knits.
5.) Have you been to Boulder, CO and, if so, do you think it’s some sort of dream land?
I have been to Boulder. It was alright, but I don’t think it’s some sort of dream land.
6.) What was/is your favorite thing to do on a snow day (if you’ve ever had one)?
Today is a snow day and I went snow shoeing with my family which was pretty great. I think in general I like to play in the snow either with backcountry skis, snowshoes, or a sled. Another favorite though is to watch tv while taking a bath.
7.) Do you own a Snuggie?
8.) What was the last movie you saw in the theater?
9.) What is your favorite cookie recipe?
This one, but with orange-flower water and without chocolate: http://zacker.info/pst/food5.html
10.) Did you ever own any NKOTB merchandise?
No. Not even a tape.
11.) Which is your favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?
Have Sonic Screwdriver, Will Travel