Posted tagged ‘Mr. Rogers’

Cardigan Finished

January 3, 2011

A Happy New Year to All! Over the holidays, I finished the Rogers-esque cardigan. All that remains is to get the buttons and sew them on.

Stats:

Pattern: Rogers-esque Cardigan Jacket by Mary Townsend; Yarn: about 6.5 skeins of Harrisville Orchid with Cashmere (70% wool, 25% mohair, 5% cashmere; 100 grams/240 yards per skein); Color: Golden Curry; Needles: US #5 for body, US #3 for ribbing.

I made the 36″ chest size, which amounts to a little more than 1″ of negative chest ease for me. (I learned some fashiony terms in making this project; “ease” is the difference between the circumference of the sweater and the circumference of the body, measured at the same point, in this case the chest. If the difference is negative, it’s called negative ease, and means the sweater will have to stretch a little to fit the wearer).

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the way the cardigan turned out, but I wish the sleeves were a little less bunchy. I think they look a little too baggy to go along with the “vintage” fit that I wanted for this sweater. The problem seems to be more that they are too long than that they are too baggy. Shorter sleeves would bunch less. If I’m feeling brave I might rip out the cuffs and re-knit  the ends of the sleeves about an inch shorter. Have any of you ever done this?

Here are the parts after steam blocking, but before assembly. Blocking rocks. I just blasted lots of steam into the parts with an iron then let them dry on the rug. The stitches magically  evened themselves out. I might block again after putting the buttons on. I’ll have to see how the cardigan fits when buttoned before I decide about that.

Rogers-esqe Cardigan Progress

October 28, 2010

I’ve fallen behind in my series of planned Ireland vacation posts, but I’ll finish them up one of these days. In the meantime, I’ve been making surprisingly (to me anyway) rapid progress on my “Rogers-esque” golden curry cardigan. I swatched for the sweater on my birthday (August 28th). I had finished the back and half of the front by October 4th:

The most interesting thing about this pattern is the way the collar band goes together. Notice how it sticks up above the left front half? There will be an analogous tab on the right half of the front, and the ends of the two tabs will be grafted at the center-back of the neck to make for a seamless band.

I had the unexpected experience of seeing one of Mr. Rogers’ actual cardigans two weeks ago when I was walking through the Pittsburgh airport!

Here are some detail shots of the collar and pockets:

Do you think this sweater was hand knit?  The sleeves feature some ribs along the outside of the arm, which I think look kind of cool as they reach the raglan seam at the shoulder. For your sight singing pleasure, here’s a little ditty of a well known Mr. Rogers jingle that he included in his autograph:

This actual Rogers cardigan was a little bit tighter gauge than mine (but only a little), but I think that the slightly uneven texture of the Harrisville Orchid yarn is pretty similar to the texture of the genuine Rogers.  I’m glad that I am doing buttons (which I haven’t chosen yet) rather than a zipper, but I’m kind of jealous of the slit pockets that Fred had on his sweater.

Last night I finished the second half of the front, and there was much rejoicing by the feline contingent in our apartment.

Cats love wool for some reason; they love to walk on it, knead it, smell it, bury their faces in it. It’s pretty funny to watch, especially if you’re wearing the wool at the time. Unless I’m really slow, the sleeves may be done before we even get any snow.


%d bloggers like this: